Documents with messy layouts and huge chunks of text might have worked in the good old days, but things have changed in the world of information overload.
Eight seconds. That’s the average attention span of humans right now. Believe it or not, it is less than that of a goldfish, which is nine seconds.
This is exactly why you need to create rock-solid documents that are a downright joy to read (and look at). Otherwise, they will probably wind up in the trash.
So, how will you make your documents look clearer, visually organized, and appealing? How will you take your documents from ‘blah’ to ‘wow’? How will you add an impressive layer to your documents?
Well, all you have to do is use the best document editors out there. In this blog, we’ll explore 9 documents editors that will take your document creation process to the next level. Ready? Let’s go.
The #1 document editor on our list is Bit.ai, a platform that allows teams to create, manage, share, and track documents – all under the same roof.
Bit offers 90+ pre-built, fully responsive, and gorgeous templates. Moreover, it integrates with over 100 applications (YouTube, LucidChart, Google Drive, etc), so you create media-rich documents with ease.
That’s not it! Bit allows you to collaborate with your team in real-time and every document comes with a separate comment stream! You can also ping collaborators to notify them of any changes.
With Bit, you can organize all your company knowledge and documents in smart workspaces and folders. Bit even has a powerful content library where you can store your media assets and reuse them anytime.
What’s more? Bit has a robust search functionality that allows anyone to find information quickly. You can search for folders, files, documents, and content inside your documents across all of your workspaces.
All in all, using this document editor, you can create and share documents that are the best in class, easy to read, and the ones that lead to great things.
- Real-time collaboration using @mention, comments, and more.
- Content library to store media files
- Over 100 rich media integrations.
- Smart workspaces and robust search.
- Free with limited functionality.
- The pro plan is $8/member/month, and the business plan costs $15/member/month.
- For details regarding the enterprise plan, please contact sales.
The next document editor on our list is PandaDoc, which calls itself ‘the future of documents’. The tool offers many themed templates and a content library where you can store your assets.
Other functionalities offered by PandaDoc are workspaces, cost and margin calculator, and a CPQ tool. It also has a document analytics feature which shows how much time someone has spent on a document.
There’s one drawback – even though PandaDoc has the ‘workspaces’ feature for collaboration, multiple users can’t work on a document at the same time.
Nevertheless, the document editor comes with special features for sales and business. So, if you’re looking for a tool that will help you manage your sales and finance, PandaDoc is perfect for you.
- Customizable dashboard, fields, forms, and more.
- Special features for sales and business.
- Legally binding e-signatures.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders.
- Free with limited functionality.
- The paid plans start from $19/month per user.
Founded in 2014, this document editor doesn’t just help you stay on top of your documents, but all the compliance and changes throughout the lifecycle.
Concord comes with unlimited volume, key integrations, full onboarding support to get you and your team up to speed quickly. The best part? It looks very similar to Gmail and you can set it up in minutes.
Some other enterprise-grade features offered by Concord are live editing, template storage, autofill smart fields, full-text optical character recognition, deadline reminders, and more.
Furthermore, it has budget-friendly pricing, making it the ideal choice for early-stage companies who want to optimize their processes without burning a hole in their pockets.
- Bulk upload on all plans.
- Unlimited e-signatures, storage, and contracts.
- Integrates with Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Automated contract templates.
- A free version for up to three users and three templates.
- The standard plan costs $115 per month and the pro plan is $295 per month.
- For the enterprise plan, contact the vendor.
Developed by software giant Atlassian, Confluence allows you and your team to create, share and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and images.
Confluence has over 60,000 users worldwide, and with good reason. It breaks down organizational silos – all thanks to its powerful features and sharing capabilities.
Apart from that, the document editor offers more than 75 customizable templates and integrates with Google Apps, Jira, Trello, Hubspot, and more.
Confluence also has a feature called ‘spaces’ which allows departments and teams to compartmentalize their work – depending on the project they’re working on.
- More than 75 customizable templates.
- Integrations with Google, Hubspot, and Trello.
- Real-time editing and commenting.
- GDPR and Privacy-Shield compliant.
- Free with limited functionality.
- Paid plans start from $10 per month.
Zoho Docs makes document creation, editing, sharing, storage, and collaboration a breeze! It allows you to create documents, presentations, and spreadsheets in the cloud, so you can take your office wherever you go.
With this document editor, you can organize all your documents by four categories: teams, file type, projects, and authors. You can also create team groups and share the files privately.
Furthermore, you can sync your Windows, Mac, or Linux computers to the cloud or vice-versa. That means you can access your documents both online and offline.
On Zoho Docs, you can set an expiration timer, after which everyone will lose access to the document. You can even set permissions, password protect your documents, and collaborate with others in real-time.
- Categorize files by project, file type, and author.
- Syncs with Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu Linux.
- Secure and password-protected file sharing.
- Lets you embed videos, images, tweets, and more.
- A free plan for up to 25 users, with 5 GB per user.
- The standard plan costs $5/user/month, with 50GB storage per user.
- The enterprise plan is $8/user/month, with 100GB storage per user.
An open-source online document editor, Etherpad can be used to create amazing documents. All you need to do is set up the EtherPad application and you are good to go.
EtherPad provides a decent set of features such as real-time collaboration, a highly customizable editor, well-optimized API, chatbox, and much more.
It also has a fully-fledged library with shapes, clip arts, fonts, etc that you can import and use. However, if you can’t find what you need in EtherPad’s library, you can add new plugins anytime.
Etherpad provides all the information that you need related to the tool, along with tutorials and instructions on how to create good documents, resumes, articles, etc.
- A broad range of plugins.
- Important and export capabilities.
- Well-optimized and powerful API.
- A built-in chatbox.
- It’s completely free to use!
One of the most renowned document editors, Evernote helps in creating, managing, organizing, and editing notes and documents effortlessly and efficiently.
The tool allows you to add tables, links, attachments, and checklists to your notes. Moreover, you can easily integrate it with other apps like Salesforce, Outlook, Google Docs, Slack, and more.
The highlight of Evernote is that it can process hand-written notes, receipts, and audio files! It even recognizes handwritten text inside your notes so you can search for it later.
Besides that, you can collaborate and share your notes with other users. All in all, if you’re looking to share content easily and digitize important documents, you should consider using Evernote.
- Processes handwritten notes and audio files
- Easy and smooth collaboration
- Wide range of integrations including Outlook and Slack
- Notes can be accessed offline
- Free with limited functionality.
- The paid plans start from $7.99/month.
Another powerful document editor on our list is Quip which allows you to create documents/spreadsheets and discuss work with transparency and efficiency.
Using this tool, you can collaborate with team members via ‘threads’ for each document. You can even add a document to a chat and work on it together. Sounds pretty cool, right?
In addition, Quip lets you add kanban boards, countdowns, calendars, and more to your documents. It also integrates with Salesforce, so you can bring in all your Salesforce data.
Quip is available on Android and iOS as well, so you can work on the go. You can use it even without an internet connection, and your work will get synced the next time you connect to the internet.
- Team chat rooms and 1:1 messaging.
- Version history and offline mode.
- Many templates to kickstart your workflow.
- Advanced security feature.
- The starter plan costs $10/user/month.
- The plus plan is $25/user/month.
- The advanced plan costs $100/user/month.
Google Docs is a document editor offered by Google, and it is also one of the very first cloud-based document editors. That means you can access your files on any device – any time.
Here’s how Google Doc works: create a Google ID/Gmail Account, head over to ‘Google Docs’, open a new document, and start working on it. It’s that simple!
Google Docs has a similar feel to Microsoft Word, with a top bar filled with editing and formatting options. Furthermore, it provides 15 GB of storage with the free plan and you can buy more storage anytime.
You can collaborate with your teammates give them access to edit/view the document, and leave comments in real-time. You can even share the documents that you create via email or a shareable link.
- Anyone with a Google account can use this tool.
- A mobile version is also available.
- Cloud-based document editor.
- Collaborate with your teammates in real-time.
- It’s free to use and comes with 15 GB of storage. If you want to buy more storage, you need to pay.
Getting people to retain your messages and content is harder than ever, and that’s why creating documents using a powerful document editor is crucial.
So, what are you waiting for? Pick one of the document editors from the list and seize the opportunities that lie beyond the written word.
With these document editors, you will be able to garner attention more quickly, enhance recipients’ experience, and add an extra touch of helpfulness.
Good luck, folks!